CONSTRUCTION AND DEMOLITION WASTE MANAGEMENT PLAN
The purpose of a Construction and Demolition Waste Management Plan is to provide information necessary to ensure that the management of construction and demolition (C&D) waste at a site is undertaken in accordance with the current legal and industry standards.
Legal and Industry Standards
- Waste Management Acts 1996-2011 (as amended) and associated Regulations
- Protection of the Environment Act 2003 as amended
- Litter Pollution Act 1997 as amended
- Planning and Development Act 2000 as amended (S.I. No. 30 of 2010) as amended (S.I. No. 310 of 2015)
- Protection of Environment Act 1992 as amended (S.I. No. 413 of 2003) as amended by the Planning and Development Act 2000 (S.I. No. 30 of 2000) as amended.
In particular, the CWMP aims to ensure maximum recycling, reuse and recovery of waste with diversion from landfill, wherever possible. It also seeks to provide guidance on the appropriate collection and transport of waste from the site to prevent issues associated with litter or more serious environmental pollution (e.g. contamination of soil and/or water). A C&D WMP includes information on the legal and policy framework for C&D waste management in Ireland, estimates of the type and quantity of waste to be generated by the proposed development and makes recommendations for management of different waste streams.
National Guidelines and Policies
The Waste Management Plan will have regard to national guidelines and policies which outline the issues that need to be addressed at the pre-planning stage of a development, through to completion and are considered to define best practice for C&D projects in Ireland and describe how C&D projects are to be undertaken such that environmental impacts and risks are minimised and maximum levels of waste recycling are achieved.
- Best Practice Guidelines for the Preparation of Waste Management Plans for Construction and Demolition Projects, July 2006
- Construction and Demolition Waste Management – a handbook for Contractors and Site Managers – CIF/FAS (2002)
- CIRIA document 133 Waste Minimisation in Construction
- The Quality Protocol for the Production of Aggregates from Inert Waste
- A Resource Opportunity – Waste Management Policy in Ireland
- Predicted C&D wastes and procedures to prevent, minimise, recycle and reuse wastes.
- Waste disposal/recycling of C&D wastes at the site.
- Provision of training for waste manager and site crew.
- Details of proposed record keeping system.
- Details of waste audit procedures and plan.
- Details of consultation with relevant bodies i.e. waste recycling companies, Local Councils, etc.