In the majority of construction projects there is generally a requirement to excavate soils, which in most cases are considered a waste under Irish waste legislation. As a result, careful consideration and assessment is required to classify the soils and to determine appropriate disposal and potential re-use options. Verde routinely assist design teams and contractors to manage soil disposal in accordance with the appropriate legislation and the ever changing disposal/treatment options.
Verde undertake characterisation of soils as required by landfill regulations and undertake the necessary sampling to assess whether a waste is classified as hazardous or non-hazardous. Our specialists are trained in the use of the appropriate classification tools and have an in-depth knowledge of the relevant legislation and guidance, which allows them to guide clients in establishing cost effective and sustainable soil management solutions.
- Landfill Directive (1999/31/EC, as amended by Directive 2011/97/EU), which addresses the presence of toxic substances resulting from a land-filling operation;
- Environmental Liability Directive (2004/35/EC, as amended by Directive 2013/30/EU), which requests liable operators to undertake the necessary preventative and remedial action for a range of polluting activities; and
- Industrial Emissions Directive (IED) (2010/75/EU), which aims to ensure that the operation of an industrial installation does not lead to deterioration in the quality of the soil.
- EPA Draft Guidance Note on Soil Recovery Waste Acceptance Criteria
- European Communities (Waste Directive) Regulations 2011, S.I. No. 126 of 2011
- Waste Framework Directive (2008/98/EU) amended to Waste Framework Directive (EU) 2018/851
- Guidance on the interpretation of key provisions of Directive 2008/98/EC on waste
- Article 27 of the European Communities (Waste Directive) Regulations, 2011
- Waste classification of soils excavated during recent site redevelopment
- Soil Waste Assessment and Classification at a site in Dundalk, Co. Louth
- Soil Waste Classification at site in West of Ireland