Oil Spill Remediation Services – Oil leaking from tank
Mullingar, Co. Westmeath
- Loss of @ 400 litres of kersosene oil.
- Oil contamination confirmed on soils and fill material in the vicinity of the oil tank adjacent to the east boundary wall at the rear of the property.
- Strong oil odours and elevated PID readings in excess of 100ppm were recorded in soils and fill material between surface and approximately 2m BGL.
- Contamination impact to blockwork of the boundary wall.
Remediation Works Undertaken
- Remaining oil in the leaking tank transferred to a temporary tank on site.
- Breakout and removal of concrete oil tank base.
- Removal and disposal of the existing oil tank.
- Temporary decommissioning of the heating system.
- Excavation and removal of identified contaminated soil and fill material in the vicinity of the oil tank and partially along the east boundary of the property.
- Specialised chemical and biological treatment solutions applied to the base and sides of the excavation for a duration of a number of weeks to treat residual contamination.
- Application of emulsifier to the foundation blockwork and other affected blockwork to the east boundary wall where contamination has been encountered.
- Reinstatement of the soil and fill materials to ground level.
- Reinstatement of a new concrete oil tank base in compliance with OFTEC guidelines.
- Recommissioning of existing heating system in compliance with OFTEC guidelines.
- A final sampling exercise was undertaken to examine soil quality at the previously affected areas.