Lakes in Co. Clare and Co. Wicklow
This project involves undertaking set monthly monitoring Programmes of lakes throughout County Clare and Wicklow as part of the Water Framework Directive requirements of River Basin Management Plans.
The monitoring works include sample collection at a total of 19 lakes in County Clare and six lakes in Wicklow.
The project goal is to provide representative water quality samples and field readings at the required locations in the required timelines.
Verde role in the project
- Verde samplers trained in boat handling and sea survival skills obtain water quality samples and field readings from open water and shore locations at specified locations on the lakes using quality assured sampling methods to ensure the samples are representative of the water body being sampled.
- Dedicated pre-labelled samples bottles are used for various analysis including physio-chemical, major ions, metals, chlorophyll and phytoplankton and sent to various EPA and County Council laboratories for analysis.
- Specific sampling protocols are undertaken including use of preservatives and field filtering. Strict sample timelines are adhered to in order to meet EPA and County Council laboratory requirements.
- Field measurements of temperature and dissolved oxygen profiling are undertaken at specified locations at certain times of year to examine potential thermal stratification over the depth of a lake.
- Verde adhere to procedures of decontamination of boats and sampling equipment between lakes to prevent to potential for the spread of non-invasive species such as Zebra mussels and Crayfish plague.
Read EPA Lake Monitoring Programme Factsheet