Quarry site, Co. Antrim
This project involved design, development and testing of groundwater resources to augment the water supply for an anaerobic digester plant located in disused basalt quarry in Co. Antrim.
Procurement and development of groundwater resources on site will provide reduced operation water costs for the facility by providing an independent source of water for a proportion of the site requirements.
The assessment works provided the required hydrogeological information to obtain an industrial groundwater abstraction licence from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency.
Verde role in the project
- Supervision of groundwater well drilling and installation for a production well to augment a mains water supply to the anaerobic digester development.
- Installation of a series of bedrock monitoring wells to provide information on the hydrogeology of the site and for future licenced monitoring wells.
- Undertake a series of pumping tests on the production wells including step tests and 3-day constant rate test using flowmeters and dataloggers to examine the groundwater response in the basalt aquifer.
- Undertake pumping test analysis to examine the safe sustainable yield for the well.
- Undertake chemical and microbiological groundwater quality sampling and interpretation of laboratory analytical results.
- Preparation of a hydrogeological assessment report for the purpose of fulfillment of the Northern Ireland Environment Agency groundwater abstraction license application.