- 15 sites were identified as National Priority Sites for enforcement by the EPA in 2018. These were mostly in the food and drink (6 sites) and waste (5 sites) sectors. Improvements have been made at most of these sites, but currently five sites remain on the EPA National Priority Site list.
- There has been a marked reduction (22%) in the number of complaints received by the EPA when compared with 2017, with the majority of sites (85%) not having any complaints made against them. Of the complaints received:
- 57% related to odour
- 27% related to noise
- 34% related to three sites
- 1,490 site inspections were carried out by the EPA of which 95% were unannounced. One-quarter of these were in response to complaints.
- 15 prosecutions were concluded in 2018 resulting in fines and costs of over €241,000 being imposed.
Commenting on the report, Darragh Page, EPA Programme Manager, Office of Environmental Enforcement said: “The EPA targets its enforcement efforts at the most non-compliant facilities. The publication of the National Priority Sites system last year has continued to drive environmental compliance and much needed investment in environmental infrastructure.”
National Priority Sites: Jan-Jun 2019
The EPA has also published the latest National Priority Sites List for Enforcement for January-June 2019. Five sites (below) are on the latest list for failing to meet the necessary environmental standards. These companies face further enforcement action.
|Reg. No.||Licence Name||Key issue||County|
|P0812-01||Arrow Group||Odour, Noise||Kildare|
|P0378-03||Quinn Cement Limited||Air emissions||Cavan|
|P0167-02||Kepak Clonee||Emissions to water||Meath|
|W0068-03||Youghal Landfill||Landfill gas/leachate management||Cork|
|P0997-01||The Hammond Lane Metal Co. Ltd||Site infrastructure, surface water management||Cork|
*Arrow Group Limited includes the activities at this licensed site of Dawn Farm Foods Ltd, TCFG Naas Ltd (also known as The Culinary Food Group), QK Coldstores Ltd, Dawn Farms Distribution Ltd and Maudlins Waste Management Ltd.
Four sites have come off the National Priority Site List published at the end of Q1 2019, following improvements in compliance or reduced risk. The four sites are:
|P0110-02||Arran Chemical Company Limited||Roscommon|
|W0022-01||East Cork Landfill||Cork|
|P0831-01||Western Brand Group Ltd||Mayo|
The table below provides a list of National Priority Sites (NPS) for 2018:
|Reg No.||Organisation||End of Q1||End of Q2||End of Q3||End of Q4|
|P0106-02||CG Power Systems Ireland Limited||–||–||–||NPS|
|P0320-02||T & J Standish (Roscrea)||NPS||–||–||–|
|P0519-03||Saint-Gobain Construction Products (Ireland) Limited||–||–||–||NPS|
|P0690-02||C & F Automotive Limited||NPS||–||NPS||NPS|
|P0802-02||Aurivo Dairy Ingredients Limited||NPS||–||–||–|
|P0812-01||Arrow Group Limited*||NPS||NPS||NPS||NPS|
|P0815-02||Town of Monaghan/Lacpatrick||NPS||NPS||NPS||–|
|P0831-01||Western Brand Group Limited||–||NPS||NPS||–|
|P1002-01||The Hammond Lane Metal Company||–||–||NPS||–|
|P1028-01||Glanbia Foods Ireland Ltd||–||–||NPS||NPS|
|W0022-01||East Cork Landfill Site||–||–||–||NPS|
|W0136-03||Starrus Eco Holdings (Munster)||–||NPS||NPS||NPS|
|WO211-02||ERAS ECO Ltd||–||–||NPS||–|
Source – EPA