Christmas can have a startling impact on the environment. The figures from the UK show –
- 300,000 tonnes of card packaging is used at Christmas; enough to cover London’s Big Ben almost 260,000 times
- 1 billion cards end up in the bin, when they could be recycled
- 6 million Christmas trees are discarded every year
- 250 tonnes of Christmas trees are thrown away after Christmas, when they could be used for compost
- Some 2 million turkeys, 74 million mince pies and 17.2 million Brussel sprouts are thrown away every Christmas
- 13,350 tonnes of glass are thrown out after Christmas.
According to a study from Repak, Ireland is expected to generate 86,000 tonnes of packaging waste this Christmas, an increase of 3,000 tonnes from the previous year.
Click here to see what can you do to reduce your waste and go into the New Year guilt-free.
Source – House Beautiful
Verde Environmental Consultancy provides expert advisory, monitoring and assessment services in soil, air, water, waste, energy, noise and ecology disciplines from our offices in Wicklow, Cork, Mayo and Galway.
Our multidisciplinary approach and in-house expertise allows us to provide a breadth of relevant environmental consultancy and contracting services to both the private and public sectors. Our focus is on the delivery of relevant and quality advice to our clients that addresses their issues quickly in clear and plain language.
To ensure our results make business sense, our approach is to first understand our clients needs and then to provide practical and innovative advice that ensures environmental quality and makes a valued contribution to their business performance.